CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Up the Hill

This afternoon, I found myself to be entirely spent of any and all energy. Whilst palliating the complete lack of vigor with a nap, I was blessed with a rather peculiar dream... Dreams, I think, are incredibly personal things. They are the inner workings of the mind and how the brain processes your experiences and thoughts...  In general, my dreaming tends to be either complete story lines with extremely random plots or incoherent wandering through seemingly unconnected topics. However, this dream was very specific. 'Twas more of a memory, really; a vivid picture of something that had happened last weekend. Saturday last, I went down to Redondo Beach to help out with my cousin Nora's 7th birthday party. She was having a Fairy Hollow Scavenger Hunt and I was in charge of leading a group of first graders all across a wilderness park in order to collect "gems". One of the last clues led us up an extremely steep path to the top of a hill. All the little girls raced up the incline, slipping and falling on the treacherous hike but eager as ever to make it to the final prize at the top. It made me think of Jesus telling his disciples to "become like little children" (Matthew 18:3); humble before the Lord in order to reach the Kingdom of God. My little "fairies" had only one goal in mind, to reach the final treasure. Despite all of the bumps and hardships in reaching it, they took the narrow road, the direct route to the top of the hill. I realize that y'all have probably heard ten thousand sermons preached on what it really means to "be like little children", but watching my girls struggling up the hill, focused on the destination, made me truly think about the meaning. Kids take the most direct path. They don't overanalyze the issue and search for the easiest route. Instead, they charge full speed; "single-minded, forgetting the things behind and reaching out for the things ahead" (Phillipians 3:13).

"With this goal in mind I strive toward the prize of the upward call of God in Jesus Christ." (Phillipians 3:14)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I love this blog. I can see the time and effort put into this.. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

wow honey i love u
i love those little moments in time when the world makes sense even if just for a brief moment in time--- but that moment is extremely important----- and its interesting to marvel over how much of the things we swore we would never loose as children, we have actually lost----

Anonymous said...

Hey Kait,

thank you so much encouraging us all with your insight.

and by the by. . .did you say y'all? If you're gonna be Southern like that, I may start calling you ma'am.

Anonymous said...

Sir,

Yes, I did say y'all. What's it to ya? (I can say "ya" if you can say "gonna")